It is freezing here! Every night I go to bed with 3 huge blankets, my long underwear, and wear my knit cap and pull the covers over my head and go into the fetal position. Whoever said this was the cold country with the hot sun was right. During the day it is usually around 15C (60F), but once the sun goes down or you go inside kayn brd bzzaf! After my family forces me to get out of bed, usually around 7:30AM, I head downstairs and we eat breakfast while watching E! True Hollywood Story with a French narrator and the interviews are in English. So far we have watched the THS on Sonny & Cher, Melrose Place, Goldie Hawn/Kate Hudson, and Donald Trump. It is pretty embarrassing watching these Hollywood reporters talk about the excesses of the Hollywood lifestyle and popular culture of America while we're sitting in a house surrounded by slums. We only watch it because we only get 2 channels and the other one doesn't work in the morning. I really love explaining the life of Paris Hilton and American culture/excess at 8AM while freezing cold.
So far everything has been going great with only a few holdups. I went to Safi a few days ago to meet my delegate and to pick up the rest of my luggage that was shipped there only to find it... not there. Fine with me, I thought, this gives me an excuse to check out the coast and relax a bit and to meet my delegate. My delegate is the government official whom I have been assigned to work with. He is the person who decided my site had a need for a volunteer and will technically be my boss for the next two years as I am working for the Ministry of Tourism and Artisana. So I give him a call and after going over my scripted text explaining who I am and what I am doing there he hangs up on me after yelling something. Sweet! The person who is supposed to be my boss and give me direction for the next 2 years hangs up on me-- No big deal. I then get my stuff after waiting around for 5 hours and had the worst cab ride home... I sat in between a man with no teeth who spat on me every time he spoke and a woman with terrible breath who decided to get into a heated debate about God knows what. Just another lovely day as a Peace Corps volunteer lol. It hasn't been all bad though. I found an excellent tutor who has helped me tremendously with all of the things I couldn't do before. After visiting the gendarmes twice a day for the past week they finally took my paperwork for the carte de sejour and I was able to look at some amazing apartments to rent. I may be living a little more 'Posh Corps' than what I thought. I found one apartment within my price range that is brand new, has 6 rooms, a shower, and a private roof to do laundry. It really is beautiful! I might even be able to get satellite TV and high speed internet. Am I really in the Peace Corps? We'll see how the housing situation works out... I still have 2 more months with my host family before I am able to move out. I love my family, but having a place of my own will do a lot for my mental health!
No comments:
Post a Comment