Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hassan II Mosque, Casablanca



Taking pictures of the inside was difficult with lighting and the scale of it all. Impossible to capture the essence of it all with a single picture!

Door metal work

Fountain tile work

Large arched hall

This place is made for giants it seems

The world's tallest minaret

Me in the hall for scale

I was unable to comprehend the size! (That's me in the bottom left with my arms on my head in contemplation)

After Spring Camp I was able to make a quick stop in Casablanca and check off The Hassan II Mosque from my list of places/things still to see. It truly is an impressive building boasting the world's tallest minaret and is considered the 3rd largest mosque in the world behind the Grand Mosque of Mecca and the Prohpet's Mosque in Medina. All the pictures and videos on TV I had seen beforehand and since fail to capture the shear scale of it. It is one of the most impressive buildings I have ever seen not only in scale, but with the craftsmanship of all of the ornate/intricate details-- the facade is like filling the world's largest canvas with the smallest and most precise brush strokes of tile and plaster work.

No comments: