Ela ash kayhdru Willis? Ana ma-kanHdr-sh l-Frunsi. Ana sakn hna f Magreb.
What are you talking about Willis? I don't speak French. I live here in Morocco.
This is my response to all of the shop keepers in Ourzazate who yell at me in French and hassle me to come look at their products. This is the main reason I dislike Oz-- You can't go down the street without hearing somebody hassle you in French. Even after I speak in Arabic they can't seem to grasp the fact that I don't speak French and that I just spoke to them in Arabic, so they revert back to talking to me in French again. Of course this is a generalization and I've had great conversations with some shop keepers in English and Arabic, but being yelled at in French day after day gets frustrating.
In other news, last night was Laylat al- Qadr or, the "Night of Power". What a sweet sounding name for an event during a Holiday. From now on I want the eve of my birthday to be called the Night of Power. Got that Mom? Tomorrow we go back to our villages for another 4 days and I'm very excited. Depending on the moon, we will either be celebrating Eid on Saturday or Sunday which is very exciting. Ramadan will officially be over and life as I know it in Morocco will change again!! My family has already told me they're dressing me up in a djellaba (pic) and I might be partaking in some sacrificial lamb killing. Woot! I'll be sure to take lots of pictures. I might even get to meet my other host brother who is in Casa at University. It should be a great time and I'm looking forward to it a lot!
Miss you all and don't be afraid to send me a letter! (Just no packages) The address is posted on my blog in the archives so just look it up :) Bslama!
1 comment:
Night of Power...being fanned by palm leaves...who's going to be coming home to me????
(I'm so glad you're having an amazing time!!)
Mom
Post a Comment