Moroccan saying:
"Drop by drop the river rises"
It is interesting to see how much I have already changed in the past 3 months-- I can't even imagine what I'll be like in 2 years. In fact, a fun game I play is asking myself as an HR professional the characteristic job interview question, "give me a specific example of how you showed commitment in past job experiences". To which I would have limitless answers (not using toilet paper, no showers for 2 weeks, being dropped off in the middle of nowhere, having ambiguous job assignments, etc.). This truly is an adventure of a lifetime and you have to constantly adapt and readjust your perceptions which can be very grueling at times-- hence why my blog may seem to have some negative connotations which are completely unintentional. One of the greatest lessons I have learned thus far is how to acclimate myself to my surroundings on the spot and accept whatever is put before me (get off the bus in a new town, find a taxi, find a hotel, find food, and get work done all alone and while speaking a different language). I feel like I am an improv comedian with the audience shouting out the most random situations possible to find yourself in and then you have to act it out on the fly all while making the customers happy so they come back and see your show again. So what if I have to kill 2-3 cockroaches before going to bed, not shower for days or weeks at a time, and go through 3 different languages to get my point across. The lessons I am learning here are invaluable and many of which many people will never experience in their lifetimes-- this is what I tell myself every time I start to get lonely or think about what I would be doing in the states at that given moment. Sure I could be back home going to Waldo's every Thursday night (which I do miss), but why do that over and over again when I could be in Marakech almost getting bit by a cobra? I think a job requirement for joining the Peace Corps is a little bit of aberration and the ability to find humor in anything. Otherwise, I think life could get a little hard.
No comments:
Post a Comment