Friday, November 2, 2007
مراكش
Who's going to Marrakech tomorrow? This guy! We leave for our final sites tomorrow to meet our new host families and by some act of god I get to spend the whole day and night in the big city, hamdullah. Woot! It makes no sense for me to stay the night there since it will only take me 4-5 hrs to get to my site from Ouarzazate, but hey I'm not complaining...I get a free night in one of the coolest cities in the world! Another volunteer and I will get there around 9 or 10am and plan on spending the whole day exploring. I definitely want to go to the Djemaa el Fna which is the largest square in Africa and also a World Heritage Site. We also got the down low on some inexpensive and cool hotels that other volunteers frequent so we're pretty much set. I really needed a day off and this will be a great way to spend it-- especially since the next day I'll be responsible for getting myself to my site using public transportation. Once I find my site I'll have to find my family because the bus is pretty much going to drop me off at the side of the road and it's up to me to get to my family. Mashi mushkil kbir (that's as close a translation I can get to 'No big deal' Deaton). I'm not worried about it at all, it should be an adventure and that's why I signed up for the Peace Corps in the first place! My new site does have a cyber cafe but I don't know if I'll be able to use it during the short time I'll be there. I gots some biznass to take care of, like meeting the local authorities (gendarmes, sheik, and Caid) to name a few. I'll let you all know how it went and my initial thoughts on where I'll be spending the next 2 years of my life. I'll be back Sunday the 11th so as usual leave me some love to come back to! Miss you all and I'm envious of all the great Halloween pictures... God I miss college.
No comments:
Post a Comment