By request of Reedo Burrito the Friendly Filipino, I have decided to teach you some fun words in Moroccan Arabic (Darija) that I use pretty much on a daily basis. Since not all sounds or characters are represented in the English alphabet I'll give you a quick rundown of some Arabic letters that don't have a phonetic equivalent in English and what they sound like. Also, I'm going to use different characters to represent these letters not found in the English alphabet.
ŝ= "sheen" pronounced as a 'sh' or 'ch' sound in English
3="ayn" pronounced as 'ay' but more glotal, can be approximated by pronouncing the 'a' in "fat" with the tongue against the bottom of the mouth and from as deep in the throat as possible
x=like the 'ch' in the German pronunciation of "Bach", some people use this sound to say "yech"
ġ= "ghayn" similar to the x above, but pronounced using the voice box; similar to the French "r"
H=like the English 'h' except pronounced deep in the throat as a loud raspy whisper-- a good trick to finding this sound is acting like you have a spot on your glasses so you put them right in front of your mouth and let out an 'H' to fog them up in order to rub off the spot. It is a quick and powerful breathe.
h=similar to the 'h' in "hi"
q=like the English 'k' but pronounced further back in the throat-- this one is really hard to get right since it is hard for foreigners to hear the ever so slight difference.
i=the long 'ee' sound as in "meet"
r=not the normal English 'r' but a rolling 'r' similar to Spanish
b=more similar to the English 'p'
So now that you know how to pronounce the phonetic translations here is a list of some words that I use on a daily basis:
ŝwiya=little
bahl bahl=same
waHd=(remember that big 'H' strong breathe) one
waHd daqiqa=one minute
3tini=give me
ŝukran=thank you
3afak=please
bixir=good
kulŝi=everything
ŝHal?=how much/many?
waxxa=Okay
dima=always
hamdullah=thanks be to God, said after finishing a meal, finishing something, etc.
bismillah=in the name of God, said before beginning something like a meal, a trip, etc.
kbir=big/large
sġir=small/tiny
l-mġrib=Morocco
welakin=but
bġit=I want
saHabi=my friend (masculine)
qhwa=coffee
dar=house
medina=city
duwar=village
bled=countryside
ana=I
Halib=milk
maŝi muŝkil=not a problem
b=with (objects) ie. qhwa b Halib (coffee with milk)
m3a=with (people) ie. mŝit m3a saHabi (I went with my friend)
Now I'll use some of the words in sentences so you can see them in use
ana bġit qhwa b Halib ŝwiya 3afak.
I want coffee with a little milk please.
3tini waHd kbir
Give me a big one
1 comment:
Hollerrr! I got a shout out. And my Stage Name and Title were identified! I would write a response using some Arabic, but when you write a comment it doesn't show the posting for me to copy. Lame. Thanks for the lesson Kris!
Post a Comment