Tuesday, May 20, 2008

All about the Turk (toilet)



Since Morocco uses the Turkish toilet and I still get questions about its use I thought I would dedicate a blog post to it. (Note: This is a picture of my turk and that is as clean as it gets, all the brown stuff is actually plaster that they did a poor job cleaning up when they installed the thing, or so I think). I suppose the easiest way to explain the use is to create a FAQ:

Do you use toilet paper?
-Most turks I have encountered it is possible to use toilet paper*, but it is typically never supplied. Whenever I travel I carry a role in my backpack. There are, however, toilets that cannot support the toilet paper and get clogged when using it.

*When I say it is possible to use toilet paper I mean like 2 sheets, not 7 sheets for 1 wipe like most Americans use. Seriously, is it really necessary to use that much toilet paper?

What happens when you can't use toilet paper?
-You use your left hand to clean after going to the bathroom, this is why you never use your left hand to eat or great people with. As seen in the picture, there is always a tap and bucket for 'flushing' and washing your hands after use. Typically there is soap next to the bucket, but this is not always the case. During my training my site had toilets that would clog with toilet paper so we had to use the hand method. It actually isn't as bad as you're imagining and some would describe it as 'refreshing' ha.

So how exactly do you use the toilet?
-I usually roll up my pant legs before use and then squat. It's pretty simple and straightforward! After doing your business you fill up the bucket, make sure everything goes down, and wash your hands. There are rarely towels in public bathrooms, so air drying is usually the way you dry your hands.

Isn't it uncomfortable?!
-Actually you get used to it very quickly. In fact, I've become so used to it that I almost prefer it to the Western toilet. If you really want to know, it is a much more natural position to be in when trying to rid your body of waste. I suppose that's the best way I can put it without getting too graphic! Plus, who likes going to public restrooms and having to clean the toilet seat or putting your bum where hundreds of people have put theirs before you? In that aspect it is much more sanitary than Western toilets.

1 comment:

R. Taylor said...

Really? Your hand??