Sunday, June 29, 2008

46 Celsius = 114 Fahrenheit

That's how hot it got in Marrakesh yesterday. I know I keep talking about how hot it is, but it is now such a huge component of my life over here that I can't not talk about it. My town has literally turned into a ghost town from 12-6pm, but then everybody is up until 1am or later. I actually washed my clothes last night at around 12am to avoid the heat, but was still sweating like crazy because it was still 80-90 degrees. My whole schedule has changed now because of the heat-- I don't eat dinner until 9pm because it's too hot to cook with the sun still up, I don't go to bed until around 2am because the night is the only time to get things done, I wake up around 7am because of the heat and flies that harass me (I have to sleep with door and window open and no sheets so the insects get to me). I have found myself slowly adjusting to the hotness though. I can now sit and sweat without being as bothered by it, the pure exhaustion allows me to sleep even though I'm uncomfortable, and I've found different techniques to help cool down so I got that going for me, which is nice. The weirdest part is how the Moroccans seem to barely break a sweat. My host mother can be cooking away with multiple layers of clothing on and a head scarf without barely sweating. Maybe my excessive sweating is just because I drink such massive amounts of water. I don't think I've ever seen my host father drink water, just massive amounts of tea. Yesterday over lunch with my host family I realized my discarded melon slices gave me away as an outsider. My privileged youth smiled back at me through my perfectly aligned bite marks whereas everyone else had melon pieces showing a few teeth missing in their bite. Grandpa's was just a pile of mush (no teeth).

No comments: