Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Baraka fi Rask

Yesterday I experienced my first funeral over here. My host mother's step-mom died whom I had met multiple times. My host mother has a very large family since her father was married to 4 different women, so in all she has 23 brothers and sisters. The woman who died was the mother of some of my favorite aunts and uncles over here so it was hard to see them all in mourning. In contrast to America, funerals here are very quick affairs. The day after the person dies there is a large gathering at the house usually with a large tent set up outside (the same tents they use for weddings). At night they read Koranic verses around the body and the following morning they bury the person. I'll never forget the hospitality of the Moroccan people. Even in their mourning they will stop everything and do anything for their guests. At the gathering I was served tea more times than I could count and the largest plat of Couscous that I've ever seen. Although an air of mourning hung throughout the day it was more of a celebration than anything. We ate so much food that I thought I was going to explode. I've also never shaken so many hands or kissed so many cheeks before in my life. When a family member has died you say, "baraka fi rask" when greeting someone which means divine blessings for your head/yourself.

No comments: