I went to Marrakesh yesterday to receive a flu shot from the Peace Corps medical team and to get some shopping done. Marrakesh has really grown on me and it's funny to think how accustomed I am to it. I'm from Grand Rapids, MI-- I shouldn't be used to such an exotic place! I love the feeling I get when arriving and being able to blend in with all the rest of the tourists (or even Moroccans) and not sticking out like a soar thumb like I do in my own town since everybody knows me. Even though it's a bustling city, I feel like I can let my guard down and be myself-- like I don't have to walk around with my Moroccan face on because everybody is watching my every move and listening to my every sentence. It's a very liberating feeling.
Anyways, I went with the intention of buying Christmas presents for friends and family back home-- except I didn't spend any money on others. Instead I went on a shopping spree for MYSELF. That's right, I spent money on myself for the first time in over a year and it felt great. I bought 2 hoodies from the Spanish clothing store Zara which were ridiculously expensive in Peace Corps standards, super warm slippers for lounging around my house from Marjan, and enough groceries to gorge myself on for the next 2 weeks. (Who knew you could get Kellogs cereal in Morocco?) Most importantly, however, I binged and bought an electric space heater because my house is FREEZING. I think it is quite possibly the greatest investment of my life. (Don't worry Mom, I don't leave it on all night-- electricity is still expensive here and at 1500 watts it isn't exactly energy efficient). I even binged on some good eats while in the city and visited an awesome reggae themed Africana restaurant and stopped at a swanky French run cafe that serves some of the most amazing ice cream I've ever ate. Marrakesh, and other major Moroccan cities, really are a study in contrasts. Considering that 10 minutes outside of the city there are homes made of mud and shanty towns while inside the city you can find boutiques offereing the latest European fashions like Prada eyewear. Marrakesh has grown on me even though I still feel and act like a country bumpkin when there-- all the false preconceptions and subconcious arrogance I had of being an American falls to pieces everytime I pass a Moroccan in designer clothes while I'm wearing my tattered blue jeans with stains from the tajine I ate 2 months ago still visible on them. It truly is a humbling experience.
In other news, I started to help teach an English class 3 times per week at a private school. I help out the teacher in the classroom and in exchange he has been tutoring me in Darija and also a little bit of Fusha for free. It has been a great experience and also a great way to share American culture with more Moroccans-- which is part of my job here with Peace Corps. Also, I just started corresponding with a middle school classroom in Colorado so I can share the Moroccan culture with more Americans-- which is also part of my job! Even though I haven't done much work with my cooperative, things are starting to look on the up and up in other areas of my life and work.
1 comment:
Dris,
I fell behind in reading your blog. Please forgive. I forgot how much I appreciate reading your rich in description blog. I am failing at writing/ making sense tonight. This could be trouble because I plan on blogging myself.
Cereal City delivers to Marrakech? Oh, and about your tajine stained jeans, I must ask that you share with Ayisha that I miss her cooking and I hope to enjoy it once again.
I once was a pen pal with a middle school student. The Kalamazoo Public Safety made me stop that.
As for you my bald headed warlock, I look forward to seeing you.
Post a Comment