This past weekend I played Tour Guide for a PCV from Senegal in Marrakesh. Pete was just passing through Morocco and a few other African countries making his way back to the states and somehow he got in touch with me so I decided to meet up with him and show him around the city. I enjoy the tour guide role (especially when people pay for me!) and if I ever end up doing any traveling to other PC countries I hope other volunteers would do the same for me. Highlights of the tour included:
-Saadian Tombs
-Yves Saint Laurent memorial in the Majorelle Gardens
-Snake charmers of Djema el Fna
-Madersa Ben Youssef
-Bahia Palace
-The craziest Petit Taxi ride I've ever been on-- including a screeching stop by the driver to buy bananas, but not for pedestrians
-The Moroccan man next to me in my taxi home falling asleep on my should for an hour and a half
Basically with the tombs, snakes, palace, madersa, and insane taxi scene it would have made for a good Indiana Jones script-- all that was missing were some Nazis. Come to think of it, there were a lot of German tourists there...
I kid, I kid
No comments:
Post a Comment