Thursday, March 26, 2009

Journal Entry

Scene: A few weeks ago I was in Rabat and went out to an amazing Jazz club attached to a hotel which was full of foreigners-- mostly French and a few other Europeans. The band was incredible and had the whole place on the edge of their seats or dancing to the old standards. It was an intimate setting and many conversations in multiple languages were taking place amongst the travelers, ex-pats, and locals all drawn into the place by the hopping jazz...

Journal Entry 2/28/09

The jazz club had an eclectic crowd reminiscent of Rick's Cafe a la "Casablanca." People representing all corners of the earth danced the night away to the great jazz standards. Highlights include: "Summertime" sung in Louis Armstrong gravelly voice fashion, Ray Charles' "I Got a Woman", and classic 50's diner songs played with an international flare. The trumpeter was American, as I would find out later, and no doubt had a lot to do with the song selection. Even though I don't understand much French, I still enjoy hearing it spoken. I suppose I enjoy the conversations of Rabat most of all... However, it's interesting that upon meeting most foreigners they immediately take a step back after declaring my nationality. Even after electing Obama there's still a lingering repugnance towards Americans-- ironic how they have no qualms to dancing to the great jazz standards born in the same country they hold so much contempt for. It's amazing how all the disdain is forgotten as the opening trumpet line of "Summertime" is belted out-- truth that the arts ascend diplomacy as the crowd sings along to every word memorized by heart. Why have I felt the need to applogize for the actions of my country in the past? Why did I feel encumbered with the burden of our past aggressions after we've provided the world with so much? We gave the world Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Rock 'n Roll, Hip Hop, R&B, and SOUL MUSIC! We taught the world how to think and love through our music and culture-- is that to be ashamed of? For all of their weak and old arguments of disdain for America I have but one answer: Jazz! Jazz is the epitome of American creativity and freedom, and after all it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing. So shut up and dance weird French guy!

No comments: