Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Years

Looking back on the previous year as one usually does during this time, it’s hard to believe where I’m at now. Considering a year ago was when I “saved” Christmas because my parents were too busy taking care of my grandma to set up decorations or even buy presents. I suppose a lot of why I’m here has to do with those events that happened a year ago. When I got the call New Year's Day from my brother telling me to come home because things “didn’t look good” I was still hung over and my body aching from the run home from the less than stellar New Years Eve festivities. I remember running home from fraternity village alone and drenched in a mixture of rain and champagne in order to pass out in my own bed. After hanging up and chugging a liter of water and taking a concoction of vitamins and aspirin to quell the raging headache I got in my car and followed my chicken scratch directions to the Hospice. There I was, hung over and at my grandmother’s death bed with the whole family watching over her. "Why did I go out and party the night before?" I would regret later. I don’t think you can ever be the same when you witness a loved one take their last breathe-- especially when they’re dying of cancer; it truly is a terrible way to go. What a way to ring in the New Year! I spent my 23rd birthday in the funeral home and that night was the sickest I’ve ever been after catching the 24hr flu. I missed my grandma’s funeral the next day because I was still sick and looked like someone had given me two black eyes as the continuous vomiting of birthday cake burst all the blood vessels under my eyes. I still regret not going to this day.

Much has been written in the annals of history about transcendent moments that changed people’s lives so I’ll spare you more. However, I think as I watched my grandma fight for each breathe through her cancer ridden lungs and fight for each second of life that I then realized how fragile life really is and decided then and there to start doing something different with mine. Thus, I'm here in Africa trying to make a difference and leave a mark somewhere, somehow. I asked myself what I was scared to do and then went out and did it so to that I am proud. My 2007 started out tragically, but hamdullah 2008 is looking brighter than ever :)

Sana sa3ida!
Bonne anne!
Happy New Years!

No comments: