Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Huh? Who? So what's in a name?


The Lord's Prayer written in Arabic script around the alter in a catholic church in Tangier.

In my last post I realized I spoke about Arabic speaking Christians. They exist?! Why of course they do! In fact, Arabic speaking Christians predate Arabic speaking Muslims since some early Arab tribes were followers of Christianity since the 1st century after the death of JC. What do they call God? They call God 'Allah' since that is the name for God in Arabic. But aren't Allah and God two different deities? Depending on who you ask they're both different or the same (look at the Q&A section bottom of the page, or just search the page for 'god'). I'll leave that up to you to decide. But know this, 'Allah' was being used by Arabic speaking Christians as a name for God even before Islam was a religion. So what's in a name?

No comments: