Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Salvation!

Yesterday it FINALLY cooled down as some cold winds blew in from the coast. Hamdullah (thanks be to God)! I celebrated by doing more laundry and watching Iron Man on this website. It was a crappy version, but hey, I need to keep up with popular culture back home somehow! I slept outside again, but woke up around 5am because I was cold. I didn't think that was possible anymore; to actually feel cold. Another hamdullah! Today's weather seems to be nice and breezy, although I have no idea what the actual temperature is. Somebody want to send me a thermometer? All I know is that for the first time in the past week I haven't woken up already sweating. Hamdullahs all around!

I might try and sweap up the dust that has gathered in every room of my house, again. I'm begining to understand why they have such a fatalistic society here. It seems as if I have no control over my home and my life in it. I spent two whole days last week cleaning all of the dust out from my home and then the next week was full of sand storms. Because it's so hot I have to open all of the windows which further perpetuates the problem and blew down all of my Newsweek collages, maps, and pictures from home. I haven't watched TV in over 2 months because everytime I get the proper position for the satelite bowl a huge gust of wind blows it out of position again. In fact, every type of home improvement I have made has turned bad and everytime I try to clean something it gets dirty again within a couple of days. It has been a constant struggle between the wind and sand for me. Even when the wind brings cool air it still brings the sand! Talked about a mixed blessing. I think I have quickly fallen out of love with my apartment. Funny how the main reasons why I chose it have turned into the biggest problems for me... I chose it because it's on the outside of town with big open spaces around me (wind hits me hardest and sand gets picked up from those open spaces) and because it was an upstairs apartment with an open courtyard (constant sun, extreme heat in the summer, dust able to get in every room). Oh well, such is life. <---Fatalism

No comments: